At Ikksha, we’ve created a natural nude journal that is made out of banana fibers with an unrivaled evaluation of a coconut shell buttoned bookmark and eco-friendly paper to give a superior composing solace. The range is given flawlessness with string or wire sewing for an ideal binding.
Size : A5
Color : Natural nude
Material : Banana fiber paper and cover
Pocket : Back pocket
Please note since all our products are handmade and handcrafted, no two pieces will be the same. There will be a slight variation in color or texture.
1. Banana fiber paper is made from agricultural waste left over after the banana harvest. Is this true? Or do they take the plant to make the fiber ?
A - It is true, Banana fiber is extracted from the stumps of cut banana plants.
2. When bleaching these papers, how much chemical is used and how harmful is it.
A - Bleaching is optional. We add a 6% bleaching agent to lighten the color of the paper.
3. Do they support banana farmers by buying the harvested plants from them?
A - When we buy the harvested plants we help the farmers in the waste disposal and we pay them for the transport and raw materials.
The banana fruit develops only once. After harvesting the fruit, farmers cut the “banana tree ”to replace these with new baby banana plants. These farmers cut the old stems and burn them.
4. How do they make banana paper? What is the process?
A - Banana fiber is extracted from the stumps of cut banana plants. Once the banana fiber is extracted, it needs to be cut into pieces 3 inches long and cooked, as cooking removes lignin that does not help in paper formation.
It is then added to the beater to form a pulp. we also have an option of cotton banana paper, that smoothens the paper down to make it easier to write and print on banana fiber paper is another great addition to our range of tree-free paper.
5. Which part of the plant do they use for the fiber?
A - the un-utilized fruit, stem, the bark.
6. How long does it take for them to make the paper
A - It takes 3-4 days
7. how many people work together to make the paper
A - 2-3
8. What do they with the water that is used in the process. Do they just let it out or is that treated before it is thrown out?
A - Our paper is created with zero chemicals, we are able to recycle all the water used for paper production. The excess water goes through our effluent treatment plant so that we are able to save over 50,000 liters of water a day.
9. Any facts, tips can she share about the paper?
A - Some interesting facts are
- We do not cut tree for creating our paper, all the papers are Tree-Free
- All the paper that we produce has zero chemicals or Acid.
- Our paper is compostable, biodegradable
- We do not waste any water, everything is recycled through our ETP (Effluent Treatment Plant)
10. Benefits of using banana paper compared to normal paper, or any other hand-made paper (if not other hand-made paper, at least regular paper)?
A - Highly strong fiber
Mixes well with other fibers to form composites
11. Is it true that banana paper does not use chemicals in the process of making them. Would you be able to tell how much fewer chemicals are being used?
A - Yes, Banana paper uses zero chemicals. We do not add any chemicals for paper production.